Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tater Tot Casserole

I love good comfort food. I have very good memories of this meal, shared around the table with my family. This is a recipe that my mom has been making for as long as I can remember, and it is one of my favorites. The combination of creamy sauce, crispy tots, and crunchy veggies is very good. My husband had never had it before, but I know how much he loves tater tots, cheese, and beef, so it seemed like a win-win-win. And I was right - he loved it! The best thing about this meal is that kids and adults love it almost equally. Also, it is super easy to throw together, and it makes the house smell great while it's baking. PS- my mom didn't know where this recipe originally came from, but she modified it a bit over the years. And she DID give me permission to share it.

Tater Tot Casserole

1 lb ground beef, browned with 1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 of soup can filled with water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 small bag frozen mixed veggies
2 lb frozen tater tots
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Steam veggies according to package directions, place at the bottom of a 9x13 pan.

Mix the browned beef with soup, water, and Worcestershire sauce. This turns into a delicious, creamy gravy. (I don't like mushrooms, but this doesn't taste strongly of mushrooms at all.)

Next pour the meat mixture over the veggies, and arrange the tater tots in rows on top. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Then pull it out, sprinkle the cheese all over the top, and bake for another 5-8 minutes, until the cheese is melted.

I'm telling you, this is good food. Warm and delicious, with a great combination of textures. Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment