Friday, May 4, 2012

Jalepeno Turkey Burgers with Brioche Buns

Ever since I got all this awesome kitchen stuff for wedding gifts, I have been trying to branch out and make new recipes. We also got a free BBQ on craigslist from a very nice man who was looking to downsize his patio. So when I found this recipe for jalepeno turkey burgers, I was excited to try them out because I love turkey burgers and my husband loves spicy food, so seemed like a good combo. Plus, I was feeling extra ambitious with a day off work, so I decided to make my own buns.

Light brioche buns:

1.5 tablespoons warm milk (110 degrees)
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1 tablespoon (or packet) yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tablespoon butter, room temp
1 egg, beaten
Sesame seeds

Combine milk, water, yeast, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer with paddle attachment. Mix on low, slowly add flour. Add butter, put the dough hook and knead for 8 minutes on low speed. Add more flour slowly if dough is sticky (I didn't add any more, it was perfect with just the 2 cups). Lightly oil a bowl and place dough inside, cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for 1-2 hours, until doubled in size. (Little tip: I placed my bowl on a heating pad on low wrapped in a towel - worked really well!)

Separate the dough into 4 equal pieces and place on a baking sheet lined with a piece of parchment. Spray the sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and re-cover the pieces, allow to rise another 1-2 hours, until doubled in size again. Lightly brush with beaten egg, then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, turning the baking sheet halfway through.


So, mine didn't turn as golden as I hoped, but they were delicious. Really soft and fresh tasting, and I would totally make them again. The only thing is, it's kind of a process to make just 4 buns, so it would probably be something to make for a special occasion.

Jalepeno turkey burgers:

1.25 lb ground turkey
1 jalepeno pepper
1/2 cup grated cheese (I used colby jack, but any kind would be good)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons mayo
Sea salt and pepper
8 strips bacon

Chop the jalepeno, leaving as many seeds as you like (I took out all the seeds and they weren't spicy at all - next time I would leave in a few to add a little spice). Add turkey, cheese, bread crumbs, mayo, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, then form 6 patties, about 1 inch thick. Grill 5-8 minutes per side. Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crispy.


These turned out really good too, even though they weren't spicy. Really good flavor, and so moist that the husband actually referred to them as hamburgers. Plus the bacon adds a good crunch. Yum!


I served mine with oven baked fries and fresh veggies, but Chris preferred his with a side of bacon.


Definitely a hit! I love summertime grilling. Can't wait for the next burger recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment